Heart love bugs are an easy fine motor Valentine’s Day craft for kids. They take minutes to set up and you can get everything you need from the dollar store!
This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. I earn a small commission at no cost to you. Thank you for choosing to support this blog!
Heart Love Bugs
Heart Love Bugs Purpose
Making heart love bugs is a great way to practice fine motor skills. Fine motor skills develop the small motor muscles of the hand. Developing these small motor muscles is necessary for writing, more detailed hand work, arts, and crafts.
Heart Love Bugs Supplies
- Heart shaped foam counting blocks. (We found ours in the dollar section at Target in a pack of counting blocks filled with other shapes included.)
- Googly Eyes (Multi-colored) (We found ours at The Dollar Tree, but this link has them at a similar price.)
- Pipe Cleaners (We used red and black but you can also use pink, white or any other color you like. We found ours at The Dollar Tree.)
- Glue (Dollar Tree)
- Blunt Darning Needle
For each love bug you will need:
- 1 foam heart
- 2 pipe cleaners (cut into 8 equal sections)
- 1 pair of googly eyes
Heart Love Bugs Directions
1. Prepare the craft for your child(ren).
2. Cut each pipe cleaner into 4 equal sections so there are 8 1/4 sections of pipe cleaners for each heart love bug. They don’t have to be perfect, the different lengths add character.
3. Use the blunt darning needle to poke three holes in the side of each heart, and two in the top. (See photo’s below.)
4. Place Glue and all parts needed for one heart love bug on a work surface. (1 heart, 1 pair googly eyes, 8 1/4 sections of pipe cleaner, and glue.)
5. Invite your chid(ren) to make heart love bugs. Show them how to make one first and then have a completed heart love bug nearby for them to refer to. Follow the steps below.
- Place glue on the tip of each pipe cleaner section and place into each hole. A paper plate with a little glue on it makes it easy to dip each leg into before placing it into the hole.
- Bend the legs to create a knee and foot for each leg.
- Curl the tips of each antennae.
- Glue on googly eyes.
- Allow glue to dry.
Heart love bugs are an easy fine motor Valentine’s Day craft for kids. They take minutes to set up, are fun to make, and are cute as can be when finished.
This post is a part of the Blog Booster Valentine’s Day Blog Hop. Be sure to check out the other amazing contributions from the blogs below!
- Valentine’s Day Game: Cupid’s Arrow Toss by Playground Parkbench
- Stitched Felt Heart Favor Pouch & Keychain by Moms & Crafters
- Bubble Wrap Heart Decorations by Crafty Kids at Home
- Valentine Pet Project for Kids by Sunny Day Family
- Fun and Romantic Easy-to-Make Valentine Card by Our Good Life
- My Little Pony Free Printable Valentines by Our Whimsical Days
- Hand Knit Hearts by Nemcsok Farms
- Homemade Lip Gloss by Study at Home Mama
- Valentine’s Day Smoothie by HEN Family
You may also like:
- Top 10 Valentine Keepsake Gifts
- DIY Keepsake Gifts for Him or Her
- Valentine Watercolor Resist Word Hunt
- Slow Falling Hearts Sensory Bottle
- Valentine Almond Heart Cookies
- Most Popular Posts of 2015
- Top 10 Crafts of 2015
- YUM! Deliciously Healthy Recipes for Kids
- Green Crafty and Creative
For more ideas follow my board on Pinterest.
Subscribe to our newsletter so you don’t miss anything!