I am in love with Halloween lanterns of all kinds. I love the subtle glow they emit whether used as centerpieces, on mantles, in windows, or on doorsteps on Halloween night. Pumpkins make the most classic Halloween lanterns, but this top 10 list is for everything but the classic Jack o’ lantern.
There are so many amazing creations out there just waiting to be discovered. I have been so inspired by what I have found I can’t wait to try my hand at a few of these this year.
Top 10 DIY Halloween Lanterns
1. Enchanting Halloween Lanterns from Adventure in a Box
I am in love with these enchanting Halloween lanterns… aren’t they gorgeous!? Click on the link above to learn how to make these amazing luminaries.
- Bewitching Lantern for Halloween from Campfires and Cleats
2. Halloween Painted Jar Luminaries from Crafts by Amanda
I love all of the different colors and fun hand drawn faces on these painted jar lanterns.
- Painted Halloween Jar Candles from Jedi Craft Girl uses stencils cut using a Cricut or Silhouette.
- DIY Jack O Lantern Tea Lights from Moms and Crafters (instead of paint this craft uses permanent markers)
3. Tissue Paper Mason Jar Jack-o-Lanterns from My Crafty Spot
This version of tissue paper Jack O’Lanterns won my heart because of the different colors of tissue paper used along with the fun designs and different sized jars. A few more of my favorite versions can be found below.
- Glowing Jack O’Lanterns from Not So Idle Hands
- Halloween Lanterns Vlog from Red Ted Art
- Fall Nightlight Jars from Fireflies and Mudpies
4. Halloween Mummy Jars from All You
I have seen these mummy jars done in many ways but appreciate the easy straight forward tutorial using canning jars, Mod Podge and gauze by Nora Nalle of All You. (photo below)
- Mummy Lanterns from Bloom Designs provides a slightly different way to make them using glue, cheesecloth, and tall candle holders.
- Mummy Mason Jars from It All Started With Paint uses black and gold paint.
5. Jam or Mason Jar Spider Web Lanterns from Mum in the Madhouse
Can you guess what material was used to create the spooktacular effect of these awesome spider web lanterns? Click on the link above to find out.
No matter which of the jar crafts from above that you choose to make, you can use canning jars, candle holders you have waiting to be repurposed, or upcycled jars right out of your own recycle bin!
6. DIY Paper Lanterns for Halloween Decorations from Lia Griffith
These are breathtaking aren’t they!?
- Halloween Paper Lanterns from This heart of Mine
- Hanging Vellum Halloween Lanterns from Martha Stewart (these are made with orange vellum paper)
7. Halloween Tin Can Luminaries from Jolly Mom
I love the simple look of these tin can luminaries. You can also punch classic Halloween designs into them and paint them in any color you choose.
8. Pottery Barn Knock-Off Pumpkin Lanterns from Making Lemonade
These hanging Chinese pumpkin paper lanterns were inspired by the ones made by Pottery Barn Kids. Aren’t they fun!? Just like any of these other luminaries, you can choose any color of Chinese paper lantern that you want, and decorate them any way you please.
9. Paper Bag Lanterns from My Ghoul Friday
As the author admits, paper bag luminaries are not new, but I love these trees! There are many other ways you can choose to make these. Punching holes to write words or make designs, clip art stencils, etc. I have provided a few other options below.
10. Milk Jug Lanterns – Spirit Jugs – from Eighteen 25
These use a strand of Christmas lights, but I have also seen them with glow sticks placed inside for a glowing effect. Scroll all the way to the bottom after clicking on the link above to find the tutorial for these.
- Quick, Inexpensive DIY Halloween Ghost Luminaries from Third Stop on the Right
- Milk Jug Monsters from Adventures of a Stay at Home Mom
I hope you have been inspired by these amazing DIY Halloween lanterns enough to make some of your own. Enjoy!
This Post is a Part of the Top 10 Pumpkin and Halloween Blog Hop. Check out all of the other participating blogs below.
Top 10 No Carve Pumpkin Decorating Ideas from Sunny Day Family
Top 10 Pumpkin Fine Motor Activities from Craftulate
Top Ten Halloween STEM Activities from Crafty Kids at Home
Top 10 Halloween Dinner Ideas from Our Good Life
Top 10 Unusual Ways To Play With A Pumpkin from Adventures of Adam
Top 10 Easiest Halloween Crafts from P is for Preschooler
Top 10 Book-based Halloween Activities from Artsy Momma
Top 10 Unusual Party Ideas for a Terrific Halloween from Peakle Pie
Top 10 Pumpkin Art and Craft Ideas from Witty Hoots
Top 10 Pumpkin Crafts made with Handprints from Fun Handprint Art
Top 10 Pumpkin Recipes from Nemcsok Farms